Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA)

Porter Law Office, LLC is now an IRS-Approved Certifying Acceptance Agent or “CAA” in Columbus, Ohio. As a Certifying Acceptance Agent, Porter Law Office, LLC is authorized by the IRS to expedite the processing of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (“ITIN”).

As an IRS-approved Certifying Acceptance Agent, Porter Law Office, LLC will be able to offer more comprehensive international taxation and immigration services to an increasingly diverse client base.

If you have any questions about obtaining an Individual Tax Identification Number (“ITIN”), contact Certifying Acceptance Agent at Columbus, Ohio-based Porter Law Office, LLC to schedule an appointment.

Free Case Evaluation

What is a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA)?

A Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) is an individual, business, or organization who is authorized by the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) to assist alien individuals and other foreign persons with obtaining ITINs from the IRS.

A Certifying Acceptance Agent assumes a greater responsibility in facilitating the ITIN application process. CAA’s are authorized to receive the assigned ITIN number directly from the IRS. If you are ineligible or unable to receive a U.S. Social Security Number, you may need an ITIN to file your federal taxes.

Porter Law Office, LLC is an immigration law firm that also provides specialized tax services to foreign nationals and their families in the U.S. By engaging Porter Law Office, LLC as your Certifying Acceptance Agent for your ITIN processing, you can keep your original documents.

Contact the Certifying Acceptance Agent in Columbus, Ohio to discuss the specific requirements to apply for an ITIN.

Do I need an ITIN?

The IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. If you do not have a SSN and are not eligible to obtain a SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN.

Further, a non-resident alien individual who is not eligible for a SSN who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty needs an ITIN. What this means is that if you are a Canadian national who gambled in the U.S., you will likely require an ITIN to obtain a refund of your gambling winnings. Porter Law Office, LLC can obtain your ITIN and file your Form 1040NR to obtain a refund of your gambling winnings.

Other examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

  • A nonresident alien required to file a U.S. tax return. If you have never filed a U.S. tax return, but you want to make a voluntary disclosure and come into compliance with your tax return filing obligations, you may need an ITIN.
  • A U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return.
  • An undocumented alien who wants to come into compliance with the Internal Revenue Code.
  • A dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien.
  • A dependent or spouse of a foreign national who is present in the U.S. on an H-1B visa. The dependent on H-4 visa must obtain an ITIN to file jointly with your H-1B spouse.

If you have an application for a SSN pending, you do not need an ITIN. You only need an ITIN if the Social Security Administration (“SSA”) notifies you that a SSN cannot be issued.

Need tax return filed

In most cases you do need to have your current year tax return prepared before applying for an ITIN since it needs to be submitted with the application.

Porter Law Office, LLC offers preparation services of your federal and state tax returns as well as the Form W7 ITIN application and Form W7 (COA), the documentation certification form. Additional dependents require seperate W7 ITIN applications.

Undocumented (illegal) immigrants

Undocumented immigrants who are living in the U.S. are still required to file federal income tax returns. These individuals require an ITIN to file. If you do not file federal income taxes and later apply to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, USCIS may determine that you lack “good moral character” for your failure to file tax returns.

Many undocumented immigrants are reluctant to provide the IRS with their national identification documents, which include their passport or driver’s license. They fear being apprehended and removed from the United States.

Porter Law Office, LLC can help. As a Certified Acceptance Agent and an immigration lawyer, Porter Law Office, LLC can review your documents and attest they are real to the IRS. This eliminates the need to mail the originals to the IRS.

ITINs not valid for work or identification

An ITIN is not valid for work purposes. You need a valid SSN to work in the U.S.

In addition, ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. ITINs are used solely for the purpose of processing your tax return. Accordingly, ITINs should not be offered as identification in non-tax related matters.

Schedule an ITIN Appointment Today

Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) in Columbus, Ohio

Schedule an appointment to apply for an ITIN today. As a Columbus, Ohio Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA), Porter Law Office, LLC will determine whether you are eligible for a Social Security Number, and if not, will proceed with the ITIN application process by completing and filing Forms W-7. During this process, your supporting and supplemental documentation will be reviewed. Porter Law Office, LLC will forward all applicable documents, certificates of accuracy, and completed Forms W-7 to the IRS for processing. The total time to prepare an application and standard tax return is about 1 hour. Contact a CAA in Columbus, Ohio today or call at (614) 428-2887 to schedule weekday, early evening and weekend appointments.