H-1B Visa Stamping and Consulate Processing

H-1B Visa Stamping requires an approved H-1B petition. Once the H-1B visa petition has been approved, you can schedule an H-1B visa stamping interview. Scheduling the interview may be conducted at your U.S. embassy or consulate.

When an H-1B worker travels abroad, they need to get an H-1B visa stamped in their passport, unless already done, to travel back to the U.S. You will then have to sit for an interview with an immigration officer at the U.S. embassy.

If you are successful at the interview, you will get an H-1B visa stamp in your passport.

If you have questions regarding the H-1B visa, contact the experienced immigration lawyer at Columbus, Ohio-based Porter Law Office, LLC today.

H-1B Visa Stamping Process

The H-1B visa stamping process can be as simple as completing the web-based application online, paying the fees, scheduling the appointments at the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad, gathering the required documentation (see below), and sitting for the actual H-1B visa interview.

U.S. law generally requires visa applicants to be interviewed by a consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate. After relevant information is reviewed, the application is approved or denied, based on standards established in U.S. law.

In some cases, H-1B workers can be required to undergo administrative processing involving lengthy background checks. These situations generally arise when the worker did not fully complete the visa application and/or provide all required supporting documentation. See INA section 221(g).

Since embassies and consulates typically require an appointment, you may need to schedule yours several weeks in advance. You should verify your consular’s procedures, paperwork, and fees in advance by visiting the website for the consulate at which you will be applying for the visa. Finally, it is strongly encouraged that you apply for the visa in your home country as the U.S. government discourages foreign nationals from applying at consulates in third countries. If you do so, you may have to wait longer than normal for your visa.

If you have questions regarding the H-1B visa, contact the H-1B visa attorney Matthew Porter in Columbus, Ohio today.

Dependents on H-4 Visa

Family members accompanying you to the U.S. should apply for H-4 dependent visas. The H-1B visa holder’s spouse and minor children may apply for an H-1B dependent visa. You will need to present proof of the relationship to the H-1B (marriage certificate and birth certificates) to the consulate officer at your H-4 interview, along with all other consulate required information. See Dependents for more information.

Applications for H-1B visa stamping will need:

  • Original H-1B Approval Notice (I-797)
  • Petition related documentation (the I-129, H-1B Petition packet) with all supporting documentation establishing your eligibility for the H-1B visa
  • Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • The web-based H-1B visa application (Form DS-160) confirmation page.
  • Visa fee
  • Passport-sized photograph
  • Fees, additional forms and/or documents as required by the consulate at which you will apply.

For more information on getting an H-1B visa, review the U.S. Department of State’s temporary worker visa page.

H-1B Visa Status Lawyer in Columbus, Ohio

H-1B Visa Stamping Representation

The experienced immigration attorney at Columbus, Ohio-based Porter Law Office, LLC has in depth experience with securing H-1B visa approvals. A specialty occupation is one that requires highly specialized knowledge and skills and a bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent in a specific field of study. Typical specialty occupations in the H1B visa category include computer systems analysts and programmers, physicians, dentists, professors, engineers and accountants.

If you need assistance with H-1B visa stamping or another immigration issue that is beyond the scope of this guide, contact the business immigration lawyer at Porter Law Office, LLC in Columbus, Ohio today.